We got the band back together! Mike, Doug, Mike, and John are all present to rant, rave, and opine about F1’s new rims, NASCAR owners taking cue from FOTA, we review the IndyCar and IndyLights races from Pocono and preview Iowa, and take a look at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
OpenPaddock.net Podcast – Episode #239 for Tuesday, July 8th, 2014
- Misc – F1 @ Silverstone, Unionizing NASCAR, Karram flirts with tin tops, Formula E first full test
- IndyCar – Pocono, Dallara fixing the suspension for Toronto
- MRTI – Chavez dominates the handful of competitors at Pocono
- Rally – Mike takes us through WRC news and a brief recap of Goodwood
Unintelligible ‘Malgamation of Motorsports Musings (UMMM)
- F1 Silverstone
- Kimi’s wreck
- Vettel vs Alonso
- Lewis wins as Rosberg suffers gearbox failure
- results – standings
- F1 – A little more info on engine development
- F1 not quite ready to roll on dubs or be relevant. 18” tires to test at Silverstone Wed.
- F1 set to ban FRIC suspension systems
- NASCAR Unionizing?
- Sage Karam visits Ganassi stock car team
- Formula E first full test
- Formula E seats – Conway, Da Costa
- Formula E testing – Speed, De Ferran
- Hawksworth has a myocardial contusion, Herta withdraws car
- Cleared to drive for Iowa this weekend.
- pit window seemed to be 30-32 laps
- JPM stayed out one or more laps longer than everyone else. Early in-car telemetry showed him lifting early and trying to stretch the tank.
- Bad day for Andretti – Newgarden and Andretti get pit speed violations, RHR with suspension problems
- Penske dominated the early going with Power, Montoya, HCN running top 3 until Kanaan used pit strategy to take lead for a while.
- TK wanted to go fast. Juan, Will & Helio were content to sip fuel.
- Felt very much like Indy with long conservative green flag racing until Graham Rahal swapped ends on 158. Possible engine seizure may have been aggravated by wall slap earlier.
- Restart after Grahams incident, Munoz gets a warning for a jumper restart. Kanaan good on fuel with a little saving while leaders need to stop again. 11 cars on lead lap with Kanaan at tail.
- Will Power penalty for blokcing HCN on the front straight with 28 to go
- More evidence that Will Power is penile: Blocking your teammate? REALLY?
- If the yellows went TK or Newgarden’s way, they may have been in victory lane.
- TK tried to stretch 35 laps on a fuel run. Even slowing to < 200mph laps, he wouldn’t make a fuel target.
- Fastest 500 miler on record 202.402 mph average
- JPM takes his first IndyCar win and fires a shot across the bows of the good ships HCN and Power
- JPM’s winning move breaks the endplate off his front wing and still pulls away from Power, the other dominant car.
- results – standings TIE for the points lead!
- 20,000 attendance estimate has been mocked as high… what is in store for the future
- Panther now suing the US Govt.
- Dalarra working on suspension fix for Toronto
- IndyCar plans penalty system changes
- Next up – Iowa
- Chaves wins Indy Lights at Pocono
- Veach makes a 22-point mistake
- Zack Meyer withdraws for “personal reasons” on RACE DAY MORNING!
- Alex Barron parts with Belardi
- Only eight cars take the green
- Portante tests an IndyLights Car for BHA
- WRC – Citroen and M-Sport claim major improvements to their cars in 2015
- WRC – Hyundai adds tarmac aficionado Bryan Bouffier to Germany round. He will compete alongside teammates Thierry Neuville and Dani Sordo.
- WRC – Next up Finland and the “yumps” (July 31- Aug. 3)
- Goodwood FoS – The Greatest Celebration of Motorsports
- RA – Subaru Motorsport releases nifty new app that includes innovative 360 degree view control for videos.
- RA – Next up is New England Forest Rally (July 18 – 19)