Episode 234 – OpenPaddock.net Podcast
The ever awesome and entertaining Chris Duplessis joins us to discuss Rally America’s Susquehannock Trail Perfomance Rally, Mike Shaw breaks down the rest of the news from the world of Rally and gets us ready for the X-Games GRC event, Jeremy and Doug recap the Kansas City Region SCCA’s Solo Event #4, look at the season championship standings, and Jeremy recaps the Spring Nationals from Lincoln Air Park, and lastly John and Doug take a look at the surprisingly entertaining IndyCar Detroit GP and preview Saturday’s 600-km race at the Texas Motor Speedway.
OpenPaddock.net Podcast – Episode #234 for Wednesday, June 4th, 2014
- Duplessis joins us to talk about his journalistic adventures at STPR
- Shaw breaks down STPR, previews GRC at the X-Games, blasts the Oregon Trail coverage, and previews the Rally Italia Sardinia
- Jeremy and Doug recap the Kansas City Region SCCA Solo Event #4 and Jeremy fills us in on the Solo Spring Nationals.
- Lastly, John and Doug review the Detroit GP and preview the Texas Firestone 600
- Chris Duplessis – STPR Review
- Mark Higgins breaks Isle of Man TT record in Subaru STi…again.
- 3 spectators killed in Scottish rally
- X-Games preview
- Nelson Piquet Jr. doing double duty (please don’t turn RX Lites into Nationwide)
- Changes to heats and final at X-Games
- Olympus Review
- OTR TV coverage rant
- Best was quote from Pastrana’s coach who said Travis once said “I’m willing to scare myself into doing it right”
- “Fast is an emotion. We talk about going fast and you and I get to a certain speed and it’s just not fun anymore. When it starts getting sketchy, Pastrana starts having fun.”
- Rally Italia Sardinia preview
- KCRSCCA Solo Event #4
- Solo Championship Standings
- Novice is HUGE!
- Spring Nationals
- Qualifying records – Helio on Saturday, Taku on Sunday.
- Gotta love 1-day records
- Helio dominates both days but scores one W. (led most laps both days)
- Only Power & Helio finished top 5 both days
- Helio ties Rick Mears for 11th for most career wins w/ 29.
- Belle Isle refurbishment – ABOUT FRICKIN TIME!
- TV ratings: Saturday 0.8, up from 0.7 last year. Sunday 0.7, down from 0.8. A wash
- 3 day attendance was 110,000
- Penalties after Detroit:
- Team Penske: $5,000 for violating the rule regarding the weight of the car on the No. 2 driven by Juan Pablo Montoya.
- Schmidt crew member Don Oldenburg on probation for violating the series’ social media policy. It’s not clear what Oldenburg posted to warrant a punishment.
- (Right? Wrong?)
- $35,000 for Jacques Villenueve’s Indianapolis 500 helmet
- Ric Peterson, Sam Schmidt’s partner. Proceeds to Sam’s foundation
- Texas Preview: Who’s upset with whom?
- Montoya has Kanaan & Rahal on him for blocking.
- Power caused an incident that damaged Newgarden, Wilson & Rahal
- Remember: This ain’t them good ol’ NASCAR boys. Is #IndyRivals a good idea?